Thursday, May 27, 2010

BookExpo America and more

Yesterday I attended  BookExpo America at the Jacob Javits Center in NY - a steamy, hot day in the city - just how I like it. In addition to carrying home more than 15 pounds of new books to review, I was extremely fortunate to meet (if only briefly) and receive books from author Carmen Agra Deedy, illustrator, Floyd Cooper, and one of my personal favorites, author Jon Scieszka.  (I told him that I never go on a school visit without him, and truly, I don't!)

Despite the seemingly endless lines of people waiting to meet them, all were extremely gracious and polite.  And yes, Jon Scieszka is funny even if you only have time to shake hands and exchange a few words.  Of course, it helps that he was handing out fake noses and mustaches!

Mr. Scieszka was at BEA to promote his latest project, Guys Read: Funny Business, a collection of funny stories edited by Scieszka. It wasn't until I reached home that I realized that in addition to Jon Scieszka, my book is autographed by Mac Barnett (Billy Twitters and his Blue Whale Problem), David Lubar, and Adam Rex. I think they were standing right there and I didn't recognize them - silly me! Adam Rex is the author of one of the funniest children's novels that I've ever read, The True Meaning of SmekdayDavid Lubar is also consistently funny, as is Barnett.

Carmen Agra Deedy was signing copies of last year's stellar contribution to children's literature, the child-accessible 9/11 themed book, 14 Cows for America. I can't say enough about it.  I'm also a big fan of Martina the Beautiful Cockroach.

Floyd Cooper is the illustrator of countless children's books, including 2009's The Blacker the Berry, for which he won the Coretta Scott King Illustrator award. He was there to promote his latest collaboration, Ruth and the Green Book, written by Calvin Alexander Ramsey.

Look for reviews of these and other great new titles soon - as soon as I unpack all this stuff I brought home!

In the meantime, enjoy this trailer for Guys Read: Funny Business.



Share |

3 comments:

  1. No picture of your fake nose and mustache? Jon Scieszka has added a lot of FUN to children's literature. How neat to meet him in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel bad. I recently switched from suspenders to a belt, making me virtually unrecognizable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well,it won't happen again, Mr. Lubar! Now I can even recognize you by your autograph. :) I can't wait to read the book. I'll be posting about it soon. As for the fake nose and mustache, hmmmm... that could make a nice profile photo.

    ReplyDelete